Wanna know my favorite things about this little guy?
Of course you do! (The benefit of a blog means that I get to answer for you before you ever even hear the question. :P )
- They’re completely edible! Sometimes we have to resort to using non-food items to make the quirky theme come together, but it’s more magical when it’s all food.
- It’s savory! I’ve said it before, but cakes and cookies are easily to play with and turn them into creative creations. People don’t do it nearly as much with dinner items.
- It’s versatile! River from Wing It Vegan did what I end up doing often times; she experimented with other toppings that might make the look better. You’ll have to hit her up to see the ones with peas and black eyed peas.
- It’s easy! No fancy skills or tools needed here. It’s no more complicated than building a real snowman, but a whole lot warmer. :)
- It’s vegan! While I’m not personally vegan and have no interest in being such, I hate when I see vegans being completely boring by their own set restrictions. Who says you can’t still have some fun with the food?
I don’t really do anything for Valentine’s Day usually. I made pink heart shaped pancakes for the girls one year, if I recall correctly, although that easily could’ve been just a random day where I felt like showing them I cared enough to spend some extra time on breakfast. That just goes to show how important this holiday is to me, huh? Ha.
I do end up seeing a lot related foods around every single holiday, though, and V-Day is no exception. Just how many heart-shaped cookies can there possibly be in the world? Hundreds of thousands, according to my feed reader.
So I especially liked this idea to help balance it out. Instead of focusing only on the dessert side, this one simply involves cutting some carrots and tossing them into a soup. In this case, it appears to be chicken noodle soup and I love the simplicity of it. <3
Sophistimom did a really awesome tutorial on how to easily create the hearts without doing it individually, too, so check her out.
And in case you would prefer a dessert, how about some manly cookies?