Wanna know my favorite things about this little guy?
Of course you do! (The benefit of a blog means that I get to answer for you before you ever even hear the question. :P )
- They’re completely edible! Sometimes we have to resort to using non-food items to make the quirky theme come together, but it’s more magical when it’s all food.
- It’s savory! I’ve said it before, but cakes and cookies are easily to play with and turn them into creative creations. People don’t do it nearly as much with dinner items.
- It’s versatile! River from Wing It Vegan did what I end up doing often times; she experimented with other toppings that might make the look better. You’ll have to hit her up to see the ones with peas and black eyed peas.
- It’s easy! No fancy skills or tools needed here. It’s no more complicated than building a real snowman, but a whole lot warmer. :)
- It’s vegan! While I’m not personally vegan and have no interest in being such, I hate when I see vegans being completely boring by their own set restrictions. Who says you can’t still have some fun with the food?
Scalloped potatoes is one of those dishes that started as a side, meant to accompany a meal and round it out, but eventually turned into something we wanted as a full meal.
Correction – We always wanted it as a full meal and would stuff ourselves on it regardless, but for whatever reason, it was still taboo to fly solo. Something about it being unhealthy…
But hey, I see meat, dairy, veggies…. definitely a balanced meal.
So how do you make them? Lots of layers, kid helpers, and this recipe. And if you’re anything like us, you better make 2 pans…