Mashed potato snowmen – Pass the gravy please!
Wanna know my favorite things about this little guy?
Of course you do! (The benefit of a blog means that I get to answer for you before you ever even hear the question. :P )
- They’re completely edible! Sometimes we have to resort to using non-food items to make the quirky theme come together, but it’s more magical when it’s all food.
- It’s savory! I’ve said it before, but cakes and cookies are easily to play with and turn them into creative creations. People don’t do it nearly as much with dinner items.
- It’s versatile! River from Wing It Vegan did what I end up doing often times; she experimented with other toppings that might make the look better. You’ll have to hit her up to see the ones with peas and black eyed peas.
- It’s easy! No fancy skills or tools needed here. It’s no more complicated than building a real snowman, but a whole lot warmer. :)
- It’s vegan! While I’m not personally vegan and have no interest in being such, I hate when I see vegans being completely boring by their own set restrictions. Who says you can’t still have some fun with the food?
Meatloaf cake – Lookalike dessert for dinner
Scalloped potatoes – Bake until burnt
Scalloped potatoes is one of those dishes that started as a side, meant to accompany a meal and round it out, but eventually turned into something we wanted as a full meal.
Correction – We always wanted it as a full meal and would stuff ourselves on it regardless, but for whatever reason, it was still taboo to fly solo. Something about it being unhealthy…
But hey, I see meat, dairy, veggies…. definitely a balanced meal.
So how do you make them? Lots of layers, kid helpers, and this recipe. And if you’re anything like us, you better make 2 pans…