10 Fun Facts about Slurpees for 7/11 Slurpee Day
Yep, today is 7/11 and that means another year of free Slurpees from 7-Eleven between 11am-7pm. I don’t have any where I am, boo! To celebrate, though, here are some fun facts about slurpees.
- In Australia, Slurpee Day is on November 7 because Aussies are crazy and put the date as day/year…and therefore, it’s 7/11.
- Canadians purchase more than 30 million drinks every year, with 189k of those being from Winnipeg.
- The Piña Colada, Twizzler Strawberry, Tropicana Grape Wild Strawberry and Monster Black flavors are the only slurpees that aren’t kosher-certified.
- In 1970, 7-Eleven released a 45 titled "Dance the Slurp" that was given away with Slurpee purchases. The B-side was a comedy bit detailing "strange things" that happen to people who "slurp" at 7-Eleven.
- The edible straw was introduced in 2004.
- In Australia on September 21, 2011, customers could bring in their own cups (or container, regardless of size and fill it full of Slurpee for only $2.60 (a portion of the price of a Super Slurpee) as long as it would fit through a cutout hole limiting the size; this however did not stop people from receiving up to and above 5 liters of Slurpee for less than the price of a Super Slurpee.
- A dual-chambered Slurpee cup was announced for June 2011 release which uses a double straw and switchable valve to allow consumers to drink either of the flavors alone or both flavors simultaneously.
- The 7-Eleven chain where Slurpees are sold exclusively (with the exception of a few deals such as with Six Flags) turns 85 this year.
- Since it was introduced in 1966, around 6.5 billion slurpees have been sold. That’s enough for everyone in the world to have one.
- The scientific name for “brain freeze” is “Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia.”
You might like these related posts!
- 8 Cheap Treats to Beat the Summer Heat - […] Via quirkycookery.com […]