Top 5 reasons why the ‘fast food purse’ won’t work for Americans
Like the Red Cloud ketchup/fry duo, this is a type of packaging that I didn’t know we needed “fixed” but apparently we do.
Unfortunately, after watching this gif one too many times, I started to notice a whole lot of reasons why it just wouldn’t work for Americans.
- The cup holder is way too small! Come on, we’re the home of the ‘super size it’ phenomenon and even if McDonald’s no longer has that option, that doesn’t mean we don’t still have much larger drinks than what would be seen as normal or ‘regular’ in other countries.
- There’s only room for one each! So what if a normal combo comes with a small burger and small fry? Unless your burger is small enough and the variety that goes in a wax paper wrapper instead of a box, this isn’t going to work out so hot.
- Mixing cold and hot is bad! Speaking of hot, we want our fries as hot as possible and the drink as cold as possible. Chances are, we’re not going to get that from a fast food restaurant half the time anyway, so putting them right next to each other, even temporarily, is likely to make us whine even more.
- Can’t steal fries at the same time! Everybody knows the joys of stealing fries out of the bag while driving or walking to your eating location. I know the goal of this packaging is to make it a one-handed journey, but what good is having the other hand free if you can’t use it to easily steal fries? Or to get a drink from the cup, for that matter?
- Not enough packaging! Sure, there’s been a trend toward minimalism and a bunch of extra packaging isn’t a GOOD thing, that’s for sure. But as Americans, we tend to come up with some great excuses for those extra layers of trash (like how it helps keep the heat in!). The designer said she reduced the overall volume by 50%, but between our excuses and our need for bigger holders, I just don’t think that’s going to fly in the US.
If that’s not enough, think about how manly American men are going to reject ever carrying something that’s been called a ‘purse’. This is far too dainty for them. And all that fry grease is sure to leak right through that dainty purse and destroy the whole thing anyway, so nope, back to the drawing board!
Be the first to comment.